Don’t Fear The Floods
The last few days have brought a lot of rain, and unfortunately where I live, have created many problems with flooding. As you know, a flood can sometimes be labeled as a disaster, and depending on the situation can leave destruction in its wake. Is your winery prepared if a disruption occurs to your daily operations? Be proactive, and limit the impact by creating a recovery plan now.
Although there are many elements to add to a disaster recovery plan, listed below are a few basic factors to help get you started:
- Create weekly data backups and store them off site, in a remote location, to help minimize data loss.
- Use Surge Protectors for your equipment such as PC’s, copiers and faxes.
- Install an Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS) to minimize the effect if a power outage occurs.
- Purchase insurance and a warranty for your hardware.
- Complete an IT Asset Inventory list and include the supplier’s information along with the maintenance and service agreements.
- Write an Operation Procedures Manual and include instructions for getting your business back on line.
- Test your recovery plan to see if it will work and schedule a practical implementation to see what changes, if any, need to be made.
Remember the focus is on recovery and reducing the risk of impact. Think about what percentage of your business is mission critical and concentrate on restoring that component. Develop a strategy, select others within your organization and train them on implementing your plan. These few measures will help protect your business and ensure continuity should a disaster occur.