Content is King
An integral part of my job for several years has been to analyze the quality of content on websites, define internal standards for data quality and lay out proven benefits of having good quality data on the site. Much of what I mention here is not new, but nonetheless I’d like to reiterate the importance of it.
The key characteristics for good content on a winery website are:
- High quality, well crafted and accurate product descriptions and titles
- Sharp product images
- Key product differentiators, such as a high rating your wine may have received
- Recommendations from customers, staff and noted people in the industry
- Any specifics about your product that can create the “wow” factor for the end user
- Original content – that is specific to your winery via the About Us section, or within the site, to attract eyeballs and increase click-thus
Putting in that extra effort to fully utilize the potential of good product data has several benefits: Rich data will provide a positive user experience for visitors looking for your products either directly through you website or via one of the major search engines, such as Google. Google constantly crawls websites looking for new content. Importantly, richer browsing experience may help increase sales and frequently updated content increases the likelihood of a higher ranking on search engines such as Google, the Internet’s most used search engine.
As a final note might I say that YOU are the most knowledgeable and trusted source for your product information, so go ahead and show off that expertise.